Sunday, 16 September 2012

A Sense of Community


My live college football game experiences have been largely at the Liberty Bowl stadium in Memphis watching my beloved University of Memphis Tigers give their best effort.  Tiger football has seldom been the University’s claim to fame in athletics.  Yet, occasionally Tiger fans get an enjoyable treat watching standouts, such as DeAngelo Williams (Carolina Panthers RB), whom we got to watch run at every home game and pile up enough yards to get national recognition. 

 Last weekend I had the opportunity to take in the whole aura of a SEC college football game at the University of South Carolina.  The SEC can arguably be cited as the best and most competitive conference in college football at this time.   Although, after watching the televised game between Alabama and Arkansas yesterday, Alabama clearly showed not all teams in the conference are equal…sorry Mary. Stephen and Jim L.

Columbia, the capital of South Carolina is the largest city in the state with a population of 130,000.  The state is void of any major professional sports team, so college athletics reign.  One does not have to be here very long to understand there are two primary loyalties among the populace in the state…the University of South Carolina and Clemson University. 

On game day, in Columbia, traffic is at a stand-still within 3 miles from the stadium at least three hours prior to the kick-off.  Traffic is re-routed where roads that are regularly bi-directional are now one way.  And from personal experience, you need to learn which roads to avoid, which roads will lead you to the Fairgrounds fields where thousands of people are tailgating and the road to avoid which takes you to a parking area where the affluent park, play and party.   Police cars and staff from different counties and municipalities are scattered throughout to control the traffic and crowd. 

Because of the traffic flow and the lane I was in I was forced into a parking lot that was across the street from the stadium which cost me $40.  The huge expanse of grass lots with painted lines to guide cars into slots was full of luxury and late model SUVs.  As I went down to the end of the grassy area to find a parking spot, my small late model pickup received ridicule from several rich kids (college students) who jumped out of their folding chairs and yelled “Ranger Alert.”  Ford quit making the Ranger pickup last year, and as pickups go, they tend to be the least expensive.  I parked my vehicle and walked down one long lane of portable sun shade structures bearing the University of South Carolina name and Gamecocks logo.   Underneath each of these tents were people dressed in Maroon, Black or White tops that left no one to wonder which team they were rooting for.  Scents of meat cooking on portable grills and voices filled with laughter came from this crowd. Beer and other alcoholic beverages were in abundance.  There was one tent with two TV’s set up airing other televised games.  I understand that some people come to the games without tickets just to socialize with others before, during and after the game.  This was tailgating unlike anything I had seen before, but this was just an appetizer.

With the benefit of a cell phone my co-worker and I were able to meet up at a landmark.  He guided me past the stadium to the Fairgrounds where his family had parked.  There were literally thousands of people milling about in the grassy area that was reserved for people who had pre-paid for a spot to park. I learned many of these people had the same reserved spot for years and it was a given that they would be there every home game.  Of all the people there, my friend seemed to know several and oddly, someone there knew me…another co-worker.  More tents, more food, more booze, and many more people than the parking lot I just left.  If I were 30 years younger and single, this would be a great play ground J.   I met my co-worker’s family and they took me in as if I had always been a part of their pre-game ritual.  A couple of beers, and a shot of mint liqueur and off to the stadium we went.   I was with my co-worker, his brother and his brother’s fraternity brothers and their girlfriends, all of whom were half my age. 

The stadium does not sell alcoholic beverages, so many students and alums sneak in the mini-bottles of spirits to spike their sodas that they buy at the concession stands.  After a stop at the concession stands and paying $5.50 for a souvenir cup full of Coke we moved through the crowd to find our gate.  As we walked up the ramp to our gate, my co-worker’s brother and his frat brothers were yelling out cheers where many others on the ramp and breezeway joined in.  Certainly, USC has passionate and loyal fans.  We found our seats at the 40 yard line located about half way between the field and top of the stadium.  The seats were in a great location, and it wasn’t long before you were talking to people on your row, behind you and in front of you, unassuming to any stranger that these people had not known each other before this day.  The old man fit in just fine with the “kids.”

As the team came on the field, the place became electric…over 80,000 people in the house with a safe estimate of 75,000 being Gamecock loyalists.  Every USC student in their designated section below the new scoreboard was aggressively waving small towels overhead in a circular motion in unison to music blasting from the sound system right before kickoff.  I can only image how amped I would be as player if I walked into that environment. 

South Carolina does have a good team this year.  They also have an accomplished college coach in Steve Spurrier.  He is not hard to miss on the sidelines...look for the infamous visor and you’ll likely see him viewing every play at the line scrimmage.  The starting quarterback was injured in the previous game and did not play.  Their second string quarterback led them to a 35-0 halftime lead…after halftime the student section was ½ empty and people started exiting in droves.  My co-worker told me when the Gamecocks have a large lead like this, the masses head back out to continue tailgating or try to beat the traffic. 
 
I left with 5 minutes left in the game.  My co-worker went back to tailgate with his family and I went the other way to my truck.  At the end of the grassy area where my truck was parked there were port a potties and a fence nearby.  I heard some music blaring beyond the fence, so I walked over to take a peek.  Down a hill from the fence there were makeshift tents set up in another grassy area with signs displaying Greek symbols for each fraternity represented.  There students, more students, and I expect alums all there having a good time.  This had to be where the real party was.

All in all, this was a wonderful experience.  In spite of all the differences and disagreements among people, there are circumstances, events, and occasions when we put all that aside and come together as one community.  This day was one of them.  USC won 48-10.  Go Cocks!

No comments:

Post a Comment