Friday, 22 April 2011

The Choice To Be or Not To Be

Recently a person < 50 years of age whom I have known over 30 years sadly committed suicide.  Personal setbacks due to tragic circumstances were perhaps the breaking point for this individual.  As I contemplated this unfortunate and untimely death, it brought to mind at least 3 other people who I knew that also left this world by their own decision.  One was a young lady who once had a school girl crush on me and took her life over a broken relationship.  Another was a head of household neighbor who had enough after experiencing the 3rd house fire in a short period of time in which the family lost everything each time.  And finally, one was a young man who once lived with my family who found life too difficult in an era that was less considerate of diverse populations.

Suicide can be defined as “the process of purposely ending one’s own life.”1   It has infiltrated our society and is ranked the 4th leading cause of death between the ages of 18 and 65, i.e., 80 per day out of 1,500 attempts.  

This purposeful act of ending life for self generally is spurred on by multiple factors and variables.  We also see it as a way of supporting beliefs or passions – kamikazes during WWII, suicide bombers via fanatical zealots, martyrdom, just to name a few. 

Since today is Good Friday, I wondered about Jesus Christ in the context of the definition. Could his death be considered a form of suicide?  He passively surrendered to those who would eventually lead him to his crucifixion knowing that he would soon lose his life.  In Matthew 26:53 he suggested to the multitudes who accompanied his betrayer, Judas, that he could summon 12 legions (50,400-72,000) of angels if he prayed to his Father, but chose not to because his death was foretold in the scriptures.  Of course, his death was unlike any other death.  His death provided Christians salvation and eternal life. 

An early lesson learned in appreciating diversity for me was to make every effort not to make judgments about others.   I can only judge my own life and my responses to it.  I consider myself to be very fortunate.  I have my health, sound mind most of the time, a great family and my basic needs satisfied.  Living where I have lived and working in hospitals for the past 15 years is a quick and constant reminder of  how many people have more difficult challenges than what I have.
 
 I recognize as people we are very much alike, but also very different in the sense of how we have got to where we are on any given day.   Our experiences shape much of our persona that isn’t governed by genetic dispositions.  And the interpretations of experiences number as many as the people who live them.   Often those interpretations drive behaviors that further define either who we are or who we will become.  All this said, every one of us has a different story that has value and each unique story has conscious choices of paths travelled and to be travelled.

I love living.  I could never consider ending my life prematurely.  Even if I had an inclination to do so, I believe I would be too much of a coward in this instance to go through with it.  I understand the things that might drive people to consider or attempt suicide and have empathy for them, but I don’t agree with their choice to not to be in most instances.

On a recent episode of the television show House, a doctor with a terminal hereditary condition was providing care to her brother who had the same condition, only much more advanced.  This doctor assisted in her brother’s suicide to accelerate the inevitable.  Dr. House informed the doctor that he would do the same for her when the time came.  I think if I should ever be diagnosed with a condition that was terminal and with unbearable pain, that it would be quite alright if Dr. House also paid me a visit.   

Sources:

No comments:

Post a Comment